Monday, July 29, 2013

BladeRF arrived, just 10 minutes earlier than expected/predicted by FedEx

Ok, I received my BladeRF, in perfect condition and perfect on time!
It was delivered with 2 SMA-cables for RF in/out and a USB3 cable. No CD, no paper docs, not even a "Must read"-letter. This is 2013 and internet, I don't complain.

What are my plans?

I want to give gnuradio a try. I think that gnuradio, python and Windows should work together to get my BladeRF-GNSS-receiver running. I will use Github to keep track of my software-trials.

In the past I used to work with Eclipse and java for software-experiments. For my attempts, have a look at my old blog: http://www.qsl.net/pa1kdg/

I don't want to RUN for a working GNSS-receiver, I bought one for $50, so I always know where I am. Also my smartphone can navigate and I have a Garmin in my car. No, my satisfaction comes from learning, from the process itself. And I am not in a hurry, besides, believe me, as a retired engineer I only have a few hours a day to spend on this hobby!

I want to solve my gnuradio-problems first, after that I will try to download BladeRF software in a local directory on my laptop using Github. I think I will try to play around with the FPGA with Quartus, blinking LEDs etc and meanwhile trying (in vain) to explain to my wife why this is so fun! Later I will perhaps try to get a file with real-world data from BladeRF and process that file with python or gnuradio. Or perhaps from the beginning try to do it with gnuradio in realtime? Perhaps later trying to speed up things with VHDL-coded firmware?



This small reptile (from memory around 12 cm) 
just waited patiently to be photographed in France last year





No comments:

Post a Comment